Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Best Friend

About 18 months ago I signed up for Facebook to reconnect with friends. For the past 18 months we have caught up and enjoyed (from afar) each other’s lives. I am no stranger to the publicity of my personal life on FB. Then again, I am pretty much an open book with BIG print. Since joining FB I have noticed several memes making the rounds among my contacts. See WIKIPEDIA for your question I need not address. Anyway, I'm not usually a fan of memes and couldn't tell you exactly why, I think it goes back to being forced to participate in group activities when I was growing up in church and how the trauma of having to act like I was having a good time is such that when someone even mentions Pictionary my brain starts to liquefy and drizzle out my ears. The quickest way to get me to sneak out of your party is to suggest we play charades, unless the rules are that you have to take a shot or undress every time someone yells out, "SOUNDS LIKE?" Then I'll be sleeping on your couch, naked and stealing your Ibuprofen.



I recently saw one going around where you're supposed to answer several trivial questions about your relationship, and I realized that as much as this website reveals about me, it says a lot less about the man who has captured my heart. So I thought I'd bring this meme here to give you a small peek at the person I spend my entire day with. Every day. All day every day. DAY IN AND DAY OUT. AND SO ON AND SO FORTH....




What are your middle names?

My middle name is Renee. Huck’s middle name is Ralph. Can you guess which one of us is a great-great-grandchild of Nazi’s?



How long have you been together?

5 months.



How long did you know each other before you started dating?


We've known each other for a year...He was one of the first people to take me under their wing when I moved to Washington.




Who asked whom out?

Hmmm... I guess that would have been me, except I didn't ask him out, I asked him to sleep with me, because I don't waste time.




How old are each of you?

I'm 36, he's (OLD) 37. This age difference is an endless source of amusement for us.... we are exactly 11 months, 2 weeks and 4 days apart. I’d get down to the hours and seconds but that would be a little OCD of me, now wouldn’t it?



Whose siblings do you see the most?

He’s an only child and I tried not to expose him to my little-over-the-top-stricter-than-my-father-Texas-bred-small-town-detective-not-afraid-to-use-my-gun-flesh-eating brother back in September. He did hang out with my aunt who was going to pack him in her suitcase and take him to Mexico with her. My family is a circus event AT. ALL. TIMES.



Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple?

I think the thing that causes the most stress in our lives, and consequently the most stress in our relationship, is the same as it is for a lot of couples: work. It’s not actually the job itself, yet sometimes it IS. It’s more so the fact that we work side-by-side. LITERALLY. His desk is right next to mine...THEY. TOUCH. So when most couples get that break from each other during the day when one or both go off to work...we leave separately and go to work where we see each other all day, then we go home and see each other all night. I take more trips to the bathroom, just to get a moment ALONE and even then, he will text me or IM me out of shear torture. Our jobs don’t chain us to a desk all day long, we do actually go on appointments with the reps we work with. Many people wonder how we keep work and personal life separate and let me tell you how hard THAT IS but we do it. Just know dealing with that toll can upset the balance of the rest of our lives. I communicate much differently than he does. I tend to observe and grasp everything that I can. I internalize it and let it simmer until I vomit all of my thoughts and feelings and emotions at one time and it can be very overwhelming. Sometimes I just don’t express any thoughts and he's probably had to spend way too much time than is fair trying to pull things out of me. I'm working on that. I'm always working on that.



Did you go to the same school?

Uh, no. Remember that huge age difference? I went to 6 high schools between California, Utah, & Texas. Started at BYU then finished at North Texas. He grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth, went to some snobby high school in Bellevue, WA and then off to college to play baseball.



Are you from the same home town?

No. I grew up in a small town called Colleyville, TX. And did I tell you that Huck is from snobby Bellevue, WA? He’s learning to love my Southern style cooking wherein I add butter to EVERYTHING.



Who is smarter?

Huck is far smarter than I am and can retain details like a computer hard drive. He remembers everything he listens to. I have to work a lot harder to process information, but I'm far more driven and persistent than he is. I have to work twice as hard to be half as quick.



Who is the most sensitive?

Ahem. Next question.




Where do you eat out most as a couple?

One of our adventures is to eat at all of the top burger restaurants as chosen in SEATTLE Metropolitan magazine. Huck introduced me to Sushi which I am still trying to choke down and I introduced him to bacon. ON EVERYTHING.




Where is the furthest you two have traveled together as a couple?

Does Hell count? As of now, just Texas. Huck owes me a trip somewhere because I won a bet. Back in June or so we bet which one of our favorite baseball teams would end up with the better record TEXAS or the MARINERS. That was a no-brainer. There's also talk of a trip to Scotland.



Who has the craziest exes?

I wouldn't call my exes crazy as much as I would call the experiences themselves crazy. It's also that there are so many of them to keep up with. And I can't really talk about Huck’s exes as some of them are probably reading this right now. I will say this: none of his exes ever asked him to stick an object up their butt. He wins.



Who has the worst temper?

You may want to ask him how many objects he has had to dodge.



Who does the cooking?

Definitely Huck. I have a lot of dishes that I make, and I don't really vary from that menu. Huck loves trying new things and rarely ever goes wrong when introducing something new he found in a cookbook or on one of the many cooking shows he DVR’s. However, I often have to remind him to add more salt...and butter.




Who is the neat-freak?

Let's just put it this way: I have never mastered the GAP fold.




Who is more stubborn?

I am Southern-Capricorn stubborn, he is OMG-she-is-being-ridiculous-again stubborn, and, therefore, we have a lot of VERY HEATED PASSION.




Who hogs the bed?

Um....all 6’3" of him likes to lay right in the middle of the bed when he first crawls in so that leaves me this tiny sliver on his right....wedged between him and the 100 lb lab. At least once a night my feet will make their way to find his.




Who wakes up earlier?

Huck. He's always up at about 5 AM to go work out, or trying to disrupt my peaceful slumber. He has not figured out that disrupting my sleep is not healthy for him.




Where was your first date?

Las Vegas




Who is more jealous?

This information is protected by the therapist-client privilege.




How long did it take to get serious?

We don’t know what serious is. It’s been fun from the beginning. It was June when we decided to throw caution to the wind because of the whole work thing. We’ve recently come to the conclusion that we can’t live without each other...making those trips alone to the bathroom fewer and farther between.




Who eats more?

Hellooo, he's 6'3"!!!! He’s usually finishing off the meal on my plate. I can give him a good run for his money, but his portions are waaaay bigger.




Who does the laundry?

Someone cannot ever remember that he is not supposed to put my bras in the dryer, so someone is no longer allowed to do the laundry. Since he can fold like he has worked the sale table at GAP for 20 years, he can forever have that title.




Who's better with the computer?

I get the laugh as he shakes his head and says, “You’re ridiculous” when he looks over and sees that I have never backed up my hard drive or ran a software update.




Who drives when you are together?

Huck, but not because he's a better driver. OK, maybe he does only due to the fact that I’m quite the multitasker. I did learn to drive in Los Angeles and I’ve done enough driving for a lifetime, so I'd be happy if I never had to drive again. However, he's recently started to drive more slowly, I think it’s due to him getting older.




So this is a small, but significant look into who has captured my heart. Feel free to answer some or all of the same questions about your significant other in the comments, or leave a link to your website if you prefer answering there.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment